Happy Halloween! To celebrate the spoOoOoky season, here are FIVE reasons why you should eat more pumpkin…
1. Although part of the Cucurbitaceae family, our sweet-tasting seasonal favourite is actually classed as a fruit. Packed with nutrients and vitamins, pumpkins are a weight-loss friendly fruit that are low in calories, consisting of 94% water! Also high in fibre, they’re great for helping you feel fuller for longer, while also aiding healthy digestion.
2. Did you know that pumpkins contain more potassium than bananas? A cup of cooked pumpkin has 564 mg of potassium, in comparison to 422 mg in a banana.
3. They may be small, but pumpkin seeds are little powerhouses of protein and unsaturated fats, perfect for snacking on throughout the day! The small, oval-shaped green seeds help lower blood sugar levels and also contain Tryptophan – an amino acid that stimulates serotonin production and, in turn, helps improve your sleep and mood.
4. Pumpkins contain numerous antioxidants such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin; this not only gives them their radiant colour, but also helps decrease the risk of chronic diseases.
5. They are great for the immune system! Pumpkins are loaded with immune system-boosting vitamins and nutrients. Vitamin A aids vision, vitamin C stimulates white blood cell production and Vitamin E helps improve skin health.
Pop into the Squirrel Treehouse and enjoy our deliciously warming Pumpkin Spiced Latte and Pumpkin Soup, available ALL autumn and winter.